Class 8 - Communicating for your Audience
Activity 1: Identifying and Analyzing Your Audience
Meet with your project team to determine (or clarify) who would benefit from a Big Issue paper on your topic. Make sure to answer the following questions about your intended audience:
- Who are they?
- Why are they listening/why would they care?
- What are they afraid of or concerned about?
- How will you engage them with logic and gain credibility?
- How will you engage them emotionally and motivate them to act or learn more?
Activity 2: Visual Display/Chart Examples
Meeting with your group to share your visual display/chart and answer the following questions:
- Who do you believe is the intended audience?
- What do you believe makes this visual display effective?
- (How) would this example be useful to Big Issue teams?
Activity 3: In Progress Draft Feedback
Work with your partner team to review drafts and share feedback. Begin by asking partners about their intended audience and about what type of feedback would be most helpful at this point. Also, pay special attention to clarity of structure and language based on the intended audience.